Monday, July 11, 2011

A Burning Man Aside

Doing fifteen minutes of stand-up at Burning Man in Center Camp this year. Did it two years ago when the theme was Evolution. My favorite joke "In a thousand years when Palintologists start looking at our society, I wonder what they'll think. That's Palintologists, those who try to figure out all the crazy sh** Sarah Palin said."

This year the theme is Rites of Passage and the 10 concentric roads are named appropriately (Anniversary, Birth, Coming Out, Divorce...)

Here's my first take at an opening, I may post more as I work on it.

###

So our themes and the street names provide a pretty good outline for creating a little bit of observational humor. Although the alphabetical order of the streets doesn't quite allow the segues that I'd like.

So First of all - who besides me had to ask or look up Liminal. It has several meanings including the one most of you are familiar with with sub-liminal - which means below the consciousness. One of my favorite "laugh now" subliminal messages "laugh now" is one "laugh now" like the one "laugh now" that I just did.

But Liminal for Burning Man means between phases. So essentially all our rites of passages are liminal - passing from one phase of our life to the next.

Birth and Death were the two most obvious to me - not sure how Divorce beat out Death - maybe Larry and his crew couldn't think of anything for F so they thought Funeral would suffice - although I can think of an F immediately that every teenage boy would list, what they dream of - that's right Free Comic Book Day.

But let's start with Birth....

No comments: