Sunday, June 16, 2019

First Few Days in Greece

We are traveling with the Firepine Family - Daniel, Jennifer, Fiona, and Tyler.  Janine and Dan have been friends for more than 20 years.  Jen and Dan started dating about the same time Janine and I did.  Fiona was born the day I  flew to Switzerland for my Ironman - because of mechanical difficulties, my plane turned around and I got an extra day to see the newborn baby.  The kids are turning 14 and 13 this year and we jumped at the chance to spend some time with our old friends and their soon to be high schoolers.

Our Balcony in Chania


We arrived separately on the island of Crete but within 15 minutes of each other.  As with all long distance travel, their were some hiccups along the way but we eventually made it to our wonderful apartment in the old harbor of Chania (pronounced Ha-nia).   We immediately began wandering the city, taking lots of photographs, and trying to pronounce the few greek words that Fiona and I knew.
Our "landlord" Lia made some great recommendations, most of which we followed.  This meant great food and beautiful beaches.  Gramvousa was probably my favorite with sweeping views from the citadel above and clear blue waters on the beach below.  The dinner at the restaurant of the same name has so far been my favorite.  One of the local specials is a type of dolmade where the stuffing is but inside of zucchini flowers instead of using  grape leaves.  
Balos and Grambousa

We did an all day hike through the Samaria Gorge - most of us still have a few aches and pains two days later.  I also think I got a light case of food poisoning.  The highs and lows of travels.
I want to keep this short and interesting so I'll leave you with those highlights until I get to our next stop.
Tyler drinking from the stream

No comments: