Tuesday, February 10, 2009

This lead-up (and arrival in) Indonesia

Ready for Travel (although technically this is a Burning Man Photo)
So I originally set up this blog as an experiment for my class and to help Janine set up one. But I never had a clear intention of writing in it. Now that I've followed hers for a while and I'm realizing I want to remember this experience and a few people are curious about it, I might as well put down a few thoughts from time to time.

Currently I'm sitting in a youth hostel in Melaka Malaysia with my backpack and laptop but sans Janine (she's in Cambodia). But I think that's Blog #2, let me back up.

In August of 2008, having been married for four years to a woman who has long pined to live abroad, Janine was on the short list of candidate to work at the IFC, a branch of the World Bank, in Indonesia. Having spent much of the past year talking about creating roots, and family, and community, she felt this was not the best time in our lives to be doing this. To her surprise, I felt like the 6-9 month assignment could be managed in such a way that we'd both get a lot out of it. She pursued it, wowed them, got the job and left for Jakarta in October. I would finish up the semester, transition my classes to a new teacher (we luckily found a wonderful retired teacher who was both qualified and excited to pick up for me mid-year), and arrive in January.

Janine came home at Thanksgiving. I went to Indonesia for Christmas. It was a difficult 3 months apart but I'm thankful I had the time to finish up school in a tidy fashion while gradually tying up loose ends at home. Krypto and our home would be well cared for by a longtime friend until we returned August.

The first two weeks in Jakarta have flown by. I brought some contract programming work from home and was spending 4-6 hours on the Mac, while ducking out during mid-day to taste the local treats, explore the bus lines and a few neighborhoods, and fulfill my duty as errand-boy. I found a local orphanage that also operates as a community center and began a biweekly commute to teach Math/English/Computers to first and second graders. Janine had already identified the Indonesian Heritage Society as a good way to learn about the culture and make some new friends. I may start spending a half day a week in their library helping out and have at least one group meeting a week to now go to (of which, I am the only male - not too many house-husbands in Jakarta).

The plan was to explore as much of the region as possible through short trips and occasionally Janine's work. We'll likely be on the road for the entirety of July. So that's a brief update. Our first big adventure coming up soon....

No comments: