Sunday, June 25, 2017

Adiós Ballard. Hola España!

I feel super fortunate to have spent two years at Ballard High School - a place of high standards, great students, and helpful professional colleagues.  I'm sorry to be going but my life has so rarely been about staying in one place for very long - Hercules being the one exception.

I don't have the time or inclination to be super reflective right now.  I think the 500 mile walk across Spain should provide sufficient time for such introspection.  Some of it, I'll likely write about here.

A few things I'll remember:
My room at Ballard - can see Mt. Rainer on a clear day.
My Colleagues and their helpfulness in planning and mental support.  My "Letting Go" and doing it someone else's way was a mantra I tried to keep for two years.  For the most part, it always went well, I usually learned something, and it almost always saved me time.  The Thursday afternoon planning sessions with the "Alge-bros" was possibly the best professional development I've ever had.

Students saying "Thank You" at the end of each class.  Who trained these kids?  I was brought up as a respectful southerner but that's one piece of hospitality that I had never heard of.

My Biotech students: Especially those I've had for two years.  We've had some ups and downs but generally they've been everything I would want in students.  I've promised to come back for their graduations in 2018 and 2019. 

My short stint with the basketball program.  It was great to coach again. I'm hoping I don't take another 15 year hiatus.

All the videos I made.  I received a lot of feedback that they were very helpful.  I need to make sure I keep up with all of them.

No comments: