Monday, July 18, 2011

Pre Flight Jidders - I'm leaving on a Jet Plane..

I'm always a bit introspective, some would say macabre, before flying. I know statistically the drive to the airport is far more dangerous than the flight - but I also feel somewhat in control driving. Fear of flying runs (rampant) in my family. I'm probably the least affected but I'm also probably more obsessed with death than the rest.

The first five minutes is always the worst - I always think of the end of "Say Anything", one of my favorite movies, and the statistic that most accidents happen within 5 minutes of takeoff or landing. Usually the anxiety level drops after we get in the air for a few minutes. I always feel like if the wing or engine was going to fall off, the first few minutes would be the stress test that would make or break the flight. For whatever reason, I don't usually get nervous on the landing. Weird.

So I say a little prayer, think about my life, see if there are any changes I should be making, and then feel gratitude for the great ride I've had so far. I know I've had some great adventures and done some good work - I hope to do more, but all things most end. Hopefully just not today.

Well here's hoping I make another entry - next stop JFK - then on to Budapest.



P.S. Speaking of adventures. Check out this great picture of my Mom and I on my scooter from the weekend. It was a great visit - she's taking care of Krypto while we're gone.

No comments: