Thursday, July 7, 2011

What to pack

I've traveled abroad enough to have some proficiency in packing. I was try to think of anything that was critical - really, if you have your passport and money (especially credit card and ATM card) you can certainly get by without anything. Related to money, I sometimes think its fun to try to go somewhere and ONLY use the credit card - never actually change any money. It's completely possible - although it's always fun to see what the new money is like.

But as for my "critical" packing list, I always like to take a flashlight and a swiss army knife (assuming I'm checking bags, otherwise just a bottle opener). I guess if you have visual (glasses - which I do again) needs or medical needs (which I don't but strongly swear on carrying some ibuprofin - the old man's wonder drug) then you it's much easier to bring that kind of thing with you than get them in another country. A camera is always good, but now that I have an iPhone, I've got a camera/e-mail browser/map/tri-corder all in one. So the iPhone is a strong third after ID and money.

I really LIKE having a guide-book when in another country but it's not critical. I LIKE having a big thick sweatshirt for cold night's and as make-shift pillow. A deck of cards and a frisbee are also often in my travel bag. Clothes-wise I don't care too much - usually enough socks and underwear so I only have to laundry every third or fourth day. Almost always bring a button down and a tie - just in case of a nice dinner or an ad-hoc job interview.

Makes me wonder why I always pack a week ahead of time - guess there's just lots of stuff on the MIGHT WANT list: Sewing Kit, Sandals, Special Hat, Belt, Travel Towel, WHICH Shirts/Pants/Shorts will be best, Books, Magazines, Food stuffs (actually I always carry some food!), pens, paper, address book, earphones...

Bastante

No comments: