Monday, July 24, 2017

Back in the Saddle

My last day on my own consisted largely of riding buses, watching movies, and being in intestinal distress. From Santander, three of us vied for the laziest pilgrims in the Albergue, not rising until all the lights went on at seven - most of the hikers were gone. I had an 8:30 bus to León where I'd be reunited with my sweetheart. Unfortunately something I ate the day before did not agree with me - the dangers of adventurous eating while traveling.

The first bus had a movie in Spanish and the second bus allowed me to finish one I had started the night before on my kindle.

Janine and I met at the amazing parador San Marcos - an ancient monastery that had been turned into a four (?) star hotel. We re-visited the unbelievable León Cathedral and had a nice dinner. I could (and may) do a whole blog on the León Cathedral - I've been to most of the biggies and I think it outdoes them all.

rest stop
Janine slightly hobbled herself during her week of solo walking - something is going on with her knee and she was moving pretty slow in the morning. We chose to do the "optional" route which was lovely and well-marked. The highlight of the day was probably a donation rest area complete with 2 Burning Man style geodesic domes - one a warming hut and the other a bathroom with full plumbing.

I'm happy to be on the road again with Janine but also thankful for our adventures apart. She's determined to walk another 16 days to the ocean. I'll see how I feel in another 7 - once we are in Galicia, we are awfully close to Portugal.

Stork nests in Mazarife



No comments: