Saturday, July 29, 2017

Engineering Marvels - Ancient and Modern

I sit in the dark as most of my bunk mates are trying to doze off before 10. It's still light outside but many of them may start rustling in the dark at 5. Janine will be up at 6, I will try to sleep until 7. Tomorrow I send my pack ahead and will run the Camino. The distance is about 13 miles and most of it will be on pavement. I needed something to shake things up a bit since it seems like I am in this for the long haul - probably no more side trips. Since my rest on the coast and the recuperation of my ankle, the walking has been, for the most part, more enjoyable.

Not much to report today other than big dogs (see last post) and pimientos de padrones (once for lunch and once for dinner). Triacastela is a one street town that despite having probably a dozen places to stay is full up for the night. Starting tomorrow in Sarria the competition for beds really begins as it is the point where you must start if you want to receive a compostela (the certificate for having walked the Camino). We have about 6 days of walking/running left.

One of the things I was contemplating yesterday is how easy we can become jade
d to wonders all around us. Certainly the first things that comes to mind on this journey is another beautiful church, another darling town, another stunning landscape - been there, done that. But in particular yesterday I was noticing a flyover above one of the villages. To most of the pilgrims, I imagine this modern convenience was somehow in conflict with their amble through the medieval countryside. However I thought, if we had never seen structure before we would be amazed: Smooth rectangular columns rising 100 or more feet in the air supporting a massive bridge bearing the weights of gigantic speeding vehicles. It was an engineering marvel, as is my phone and my wireless keyboard and and my microwave oven and my electricity grid and my paved roads and my indoor plumbing. There is so much amazing stuff all around us that we are so accustomed to and we seldom give it a second thought. I am trying to give it a second thought. Nuff said.

No comments: